Coconut Panko Prawns
We love this delicious and healthy take on traditional “Shrimp Scampi”….and it’s a snap to make!
Using coconut oil instead of butter and olive oil gives this dish a lovely and subtle coconut flavor. Panko (or alternatively gluten free bread crumbs) ensures a light crispy texture and is a great alternative to traditional breadcrumbs in this dish.Ingredients:
- 1 lb (or a half pound per person) wild caught prawns
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 TBS coconut oil, liquified and divided in half
- Several sprigs of Fresh dill, snipped
- 1/2 cup panko (or gluten free alternative), preferably organic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon pitted and sliced for garnish (optional)
- Fresh mint or basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Peel and de-vein the Prawns, rinse in cold water, drain
- Combine garlic, wine, 2 tbs coconut oil and dill in a medium glass bowl
- Add prawns to marinade and let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes
- Heat large saute pan (cast iron works especially well) to medium high
- Add remaining coconut oil to coat pan evenly, add more if necessary
- Dredge prawns in panko to form a light coating on all sides
- Sautee for 2-3 minutes, adjusting heat as needed.
- Turn over and squeeze half of the lemon juice over the prawns, add pepper to taste
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until done, prawns should be pink and not translucent and the crust should be crispy golden brown.
- Arrange prawns on serving plate and squeeze additional lemon half over them.
- Garnish with lemon slices and mint or basil leaves (if using)