Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake
LET THEM EAT (Dark Chocolate) CAKE!
Decadent Dark chocolate, can be quite healthy. It is loaded with antioxidants, which protects your cells and tissues from damaging free radicals. One study* found that by eating dark chocolate the risk of cardiovascular death was reduced by 50% over a 15 year period in elderly men. This and other observational studies show that there is a benefit to your heart when dark chocolate is included.
This indulgent dessert uses a high cacao content (70%+) chocolate for maximum health benefits and coconut sugar to make it sweet and irresistible.Ingredients: 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or coconut oil), plus more for the cake pan 6 oz. 70%+ dark chocolate, chopped 6 large free-range organic eggs, separated 1 cup raw coconut sugar, divided 2 tablespoons instant-espresso powder pinch of fine grain sea salt 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract Preparation: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C), place a rack in the middle.
- Invert the bottom of 9-inch spring form pan and line with a buttered parchment round.
- Place butter (or coconut oil) and chopped chocolate in a medium sized heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (making sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Stir until the chocolate has completely melted. Remove the bowl from over the boiling water, let mixture sit for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl beat together egg yolks and ½ cup of raw coconut palm sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until thick and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add espresso powder and salt; beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and melted-chocolate mixture; beat 1 more minute.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites and a pinch of salt on medium-high speed until foamy.
- Increase speed to high and gradually add remaining ½ cup cup raw coconut palm sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. The raw coconut palm sugar will dissolve into the egg whites giving them a fantastic brownish/caramel macchiato color.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture in 3 batches.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until set.
- Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Remove side of pan; transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut milk whipped cream, Greek yogurt or berries.